Calendar note: applied miraclegro to potted roses
Making a note that I applied Miracle Gro for Roses water-soluble plant food to most of the potted roses this morning. This included the following:
- Rosa mundi and Rosa carolina by back door
- Orange mini by back door
- the two Knockout roses
- the 5 potted cuttings of Cherokee rose
- the potted Rosa mundi that were “rescued” from the jungle bed
- the other two potted Rosa mundi in the iris bed by Francis Dubreuil
- Francis Dubreuil
- Autumn Damask that is in the Iris bed
- Rosa alba semi-plena
It took about 4 gallons (or was it 6?) to do this. I need to scrounge a new gallon milk jug; I could not find the one I thought I had saved. I ended up marking “gallon” line on the inside of a litter bucket with a sharpie. I also marked the outside of the bucket that I had used it for applying fertilizer.
I did not apply it to the new bushes I transplanted from the “band” rooting pots to 1 gallon pots last week. My recollection is that you are not supposed to apply fertilizer to newly potted plants because:
- the fertilizer can damage tender new roots
- you want the plant to grow new roots and expand into the new soil; if you give it easy nutrients, it will just absorb those and not expand.
It strikes me I overlooked applying the potion to the two new bushes (Apothecary Rose and Great Maidens Blush) even though I did not repot them.
I now also realize that I forgot to do blog post about repotting the four roses from the 4″ bands pots to 1 gallon pots. Something to write later.